Within the framework of the Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen Research Center for Complex Material Systems (RCCM) the Fraunhofer Group works closely with the university reasearch group in Würzburg as well as with the Fraunhofer-Entwicklungszentrum für Röntgentechnik EZRT (Development Center for X-Ray Technology EZRT), an affiliated department of the Fraunhofer IIS Erlangen and IZFP Saarbrücken.
As well as the development of technologies, which is especially supported by the connection to the university´s facilities, the Fraunhofer Group also offers a wide range of services:
- Structure- and material characterization using 3D micro- and nano-CT
- Research- and development projects with universities, institutes and SMEs
- Technology development dynamic 4D-CT for time-resolved processes
- Technology development X-ray focused optics and nano-CT
- Technology development phase contrast and dark-field CT
- Quantitative analysis of 3D structures (pores, fibres, particles, interfaces)
On June 14th 2011 the funding grant for the Fraunhofer Group „Nano-X-Ray Systems for Material Characterization“ was awarded by the Bavarian State Secretary for Economic Affairs, Ms. Katja Hessel in an official ceremony.
The grant amount of 3 Million Euro has helped to finance the research work of the Fraunhofer-Institute for Integrated Circuits at its location in Würzburg during the last 6 years. Bavarian State Secretary Katja Hessel viewed this as more than just a support for non-university research. The Fraunhofer Project Group also acts as a cooperation partner for businesses, especially those located in the region.